Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The principles and practice of abstract art.
- ‘When local Poirier made the trip from minimal techno to hip hop, he made sure to keep his unearthly sense of abstractionism intact.’
- ‘And materialism is as much the enemy of art as abstractionism.’
- ‘After the pictorial revolutions of Cubism and abstractionism, it was no longer possible to pretend that surface and structure could unproblematically be melded in the production of a representational picture space.’
- ‘I am convinced that anyone who admires abstractionism will take great pleasure in going deep into Zimmermann's world.’
- 1.1 The presentation of ideas in abstract terms.
- ‘On the one hand, the increasing use of abstract mathematical representations in Einstein's theory entirely supports the attack on Aristotelian abstractionism and philosophical empiricism.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.