One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Art that does not attempt to represent external reality, but seeks to achieve its effect using shapes, forms, colors, and textures.
- ‘Purely abstract art, art without a recognizable subject, cannot function in this crucial project.’
- ‘He knew that the impact of European abstract art was limited because it was accessible only to a select few.’
- ‘The walls were decorated with black and white abstract art, photos and paintings.’
- ‘Their work was seminal in the development of abstract art generally and the Expressionist movement particularly.’
- ‘Now I think it was something different, the struggle was between figurative art and abstract art.’
- ‘You come across abstract art; abstract art is usually about people's feelings, it's not just paint on a bit of paper, no art is just that.’
- ‘Feng Feng uses mixed media to create abstract art with a Chinese flavor.’
- ‘Delaunay's wife Sonia also produced abstract art at this time.’
- ‘Much has been said about abstract art and spirituality, and these works offer food for thought in that respect.’
- ‘Twenty years later, he would say ‘I only buy abstract art now’.’
- ‘With his frequent exhibitions and trips to the USA Kandinsky helped bringing abstract art to this country.’
- ‘During the 1940s, New York offered little support for advanced abstract art, and California even less.’
- ‘Big shapes, bold colors and intriguing textural surfaces - these are just some of the characteristics of abstract art.’
- ‘Today quilting may encompass traditional craft, folk art, or abstract art, and quilts are as likely to be found on a museum wall as on a bed.’
- ‘He said that there were ten different artists displaying - mainly paintings; some abstract art and some modern art.’
- ‘And Beth, his first lawyer, is more likely to appreciate expressionist and abstract art.’
- ‘His later work represented a desire to invalidate distinctions between abstract art and kitsch, and became increasingly unorthodox and horrific in its imagery.’
- ‘Oshiro Onchi like Kandinsky were creative forerunners of expressionism and abstract art.’
- ‘It's easier to like or dislike abstract art, as any attempt at representational art is always prone to rapid criticism.’
- ‘In a 1943 letter to the New York Times, Gottlieb and Mark Rothko became the first to articulate the tenets of the new abstract art.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.