Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Art that does not attempt to represent external reality, but seeks to achieve its effect using shapes, forms, colors, and textures.
- ‘Now I think it was something different, the struggle was between figurative art and abstract art.’
- ‘Today quilting may encompass traditional craft, folk art, or abstract art, and quilts are as likely to be found on a museum wall as on a bed.’
- ‘Oshiro Onchi like Kandinsky were creative forerunners of expressionism and abstract art.’
- ‘He knew that the impact of European abstract art was limited because it was accessible only to a select few.’
- ‘With his frequent exhibitions and trips to the USA Kandinsky helped bringing abstract art to this country.’
- ‘The walls were decorated with black and white abstract art, photos and paintings.’
- ‘It's easier to like or dislike abstract art, as any attempt at representational art is always prone to rapid criticism.’
- ‘Twenty years later, he would say ‘I only buy abstract art now’.’
- ‘His later work represented a desire to invalidate distinctions between abstract art and kitsch, and became increasingly unorthodox and horrific in its imagery.’
- ‘He said that there were ten different artists displaying - mainly paintings; some abstract art and some modern art.’
- ‘Much has been said about abstract art and spirituality, and these works offer food for thought in that respect.’
- ‘Purely abstract art, art without a recognizable subject, cannot function in this crucial project.’
- ‘Delaunay's wife Sonia also produced abstract art at this time.’
- ‘Feng Feng uses mixed media to create abstract art with a Chinese flavor.’
- ‘In a 1943 letter to the New York Times, Gottlieb and Mark Rothko became the first to articulate the tenets of the new abstract art.’
- ‘During the 1940s, New York offered little support for advanced abstract art, and California even less.’
- ‘You come across abstract art; abstract art is usually about people's feelings, it's not just paint on a bit of paper, no art is just that.’
- ‘Their work was seminal in the development of abstract art generally and the Expressionist movement particularly.’
- ‘Big shapes, bold colors and intriguing textural surfaces - these are just some of the characteristics of abstract art.’
- ‘And Beth, his first lawyer, is more likely to appreciate expressionist and abstract art.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.