One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
temperance, abstinence, austerity, moderation, plain living, simple living, self-discipline, self-denial, renunciation, restraint, self-restraint, self-deprivation, sobriety, asceticism, puritanism, severity, self-abnegation, continenceView synonyms
- ‘He does not seem to smoke or drink, although he has downplayed his abstemiousness since joining the drinks group.’
- ‘That is not to suggest that I am a model of abstemiousness who has never made an idiot of himself after five too many.’
- ‘We only had four bottles of wine - due to the wine service rather than any abstemiousness on our part.’
- ‘It turns out Fields was a huge admirer of hers, but their approaches to comedy, and life, were poles apart - Fields being a master of excess and West a paragon of abstemiousness.’
- ‘Jake made up for any parental abstemiousness though.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.