One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A spectrum of electromagnetic radiation transmitted through a substance, showing dark lines or bands due to absorption of specific wavelengths.Compare with emission spectrum
- ‘The redshift in the absorption spectrum reflects electronic interactions between the porphyrin and the melanins.’
- ‘Following Forster himself, one may use a specific absorption spectrum, a normalized emission spectrum and an estimate of the radiative lifetime.’
- ‘The wide absorption spectrum of the electron transfer chain revealed by the transient measurements may contribute to the high efficiency of energy trapping in PSI.’
- ‘This wavelength also coincides with a peak in the mercury lamp spectrum and with the Soret band of the PpIX absorption spectrum.’
- ‘The lowest-energy absorption band lies outside the absorption spectrum of DNA / RNA, allowing selective excitation of 2AP.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.