One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Instrumental music composed purely as music, and not intended to represent or illustrate something else.Compare with program music
- ‘As Chua advances into the nineteenth century, the paradoxes and ambiguities concerning the nature of absolute music pile up, to considerable dramatic effect.’
- ‘Indeed, throughout her life Beach never wavered from her deep belief in absolute music as a force for moral redemption - however anachronistic this would come to appear in the more disturbed decades after the First World War.’
- ‘G.I. Gurdjieff conducted experiments in search of absolute music, sounds that would have a specific, predictable effect on the listener.’
- ‘Some musicologists might argue that the Inventions fall into a category of absolute music.’
- ‘Very little of Mauricio Kagel's work is absolute music; there is almost invariably a programme of some kind lurking behind every note of it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.