One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A swollen area within body tissue, containing an accumulation of pus.
ulcer, ulceration, cyst, boil, blister, sore, pustule, carbuncle, pimple, spot, papule, wen, whitlow, vesication, furuncle, cankerView synonyms
- ‘Abscesses can be differentiated from brain tumours because abscesses tend to have smoother edges.’
- ‘A history of fever, chills or urinary tract infection suggests an infected cyst or an abscess.’
- ‘Your GP will normally prescribe oral antibiotics to fight the infection before an abscess has a chance to develop.’
- ‘Cerebral abscesses are typically circumscribed lesions with surrounding vasogenic edema.’
- ‘A more complicated operation is needed to drain an abscess from inside the body.’
- ‘The neurologist who examined her found and drained an epidural abscess from the lumbar region.’
- ‘At least 75% of cerebral abscesses are associated with infections elsewhere in the body.’
- ‘It was felt the likely cause of the abscess was an open lesion from the patient's severe eczema.’
- ‘However, subcutaneous injections can cause abscesses and granulomas.’
- ‘Unlike staphylococci, which tend to cause localised infections such as abscesses, streptococci are essentially organisms that spread.’
- ‘Three cases involved a septic knee joint, and two patients developed subcutaneous abscesses.’
- ‘Surgery may be necessary to drain abscesses, debride infected tissue, or stabilize the spine and relieve spinal cord compression.’
- ‘Brain abscesses are a medical emergency because they can raise the pressure on the brain to a point that may be fatal.’
- ‘Most brain abscesses occur when infection spreads to the brain from elsewhere in the body, mostly from nearby areas such as the ears.’
- ‘Symptoms often depend on whereabouts in the body the abscess occurs.’
- ‘Around 40% of brain abscesses are caused by infections spread from areas nearby in the body, in the nose, throat and ear areas.’
- ‘If untreated, jaundice can lead to infection and abscesses in the liver, which can be fatal.’
- ‘Most epidural abscesses are located posteriorly in the thoracic or lumbar spine.’
- ‘We also recorded the presence and severity of scabies, abscesses, and fungal lesions.’
- ‘In order to treat a tooth with an abscess your dentist will drain the abscess to release the pressure and relieve pain.’
Mid 16th century: from Latin abscessus ‘a going away’, from the verb abscedere, from ab- ‘away from’ + cedere ‘go’, referring to the elimination of infected matter via the pus.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.