One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The abdominal muscles.
- ‘Nothing gets more attention than a muscular body complete with exploding muscle and chiseled abs.’
- ‘People find a muscular physique with great abs a very attractive and irresistible package.’
- ‘She is into animal rights, she says, and a vegan and is pretty fit herself, she adds, demonstrating flexed forearms, biceps and abs.’
- ‘This exercise works the hip flexors, lower abs and thighs, and increases kick strength.’
- ‘To help achieve this position, contract your lower abs and tilt your pelvis forward.’
- ‘Nope, when you go to the gym you're thinking bigger biceps, chiseled chest, tighter abs.’
- ‘I'm coached on how to bend down by contracting my abs and curving my rib cage in.’
- ‘Draw your shoulder blades down and back, using the abs to keep the torso erect, neck long and chest lifted.’
- ‘With each of these exercises, keep your abs contracted, shoulder blades back and down.’
- ‘Tighten your abs and glutes, keeping your pelvis down, and lift one leg off the floor.’
- ‘He was not wearing a shirt at all, his biceps noticeably muscular and his 6-pack abs too.’
- ‘He was wearing a tight black shirt that showed off his nice abs and muscles.’
- ‘She contracts her abs, curling her pelvis up and bringing her knees toward her chest.’
- ‘He was dressed in a tight white T-shirt that flaunted his abs, and his muscular arms.’
- ‘Your back and hip muscles join in to assist your abs in holding your torso still as your legs move.’
- ‘As you pull the bar down, keep your abs contracted and shoulder blades down.’
- ‘Contract abs, dropping tailbone to stabilize torso against ball, then straighten legs.’
- ‘Like any muscles, abs respond well to being worked slowly.’
- ‘Keeping torso lifted, contract abs to draw tailbone down until you feel a stretch in the front of your left hip.’
- ‘Feel the isometric engagement of core muscles from your upper abs down through your quads.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.