Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The abdominal muscles.
- ‘I'm coached on how to bend down by contracting my abs and curving my rib cage in.’
- ‘She contracts her abs, curling her pelvis up and bringing her knees toward her chest.’
- ‘Draw your shoulder blades down and back, using the abs to keep the torso erect, neck long and chest lifted.’
- ‘Tighten your abs and glutes, keeping your pelvis down, and lift one leg off the floor.’
- ‘To help achieve this position, contract your lower abs and tilt your pelvis forward.’
- ‘Nothing gets more attention than a muscular body complete with exploding muscle and chiseled abs.’
- ‘Nope, when you go to the gym you're thinking bigger biceps, chiseled chest, tighter abs.’
- ‘She is into animal rights, she says, and a vegan and is pretty fit herself, she adds, demonstrating flexed forearms, biceps and abs.’
- ‘Feel the isometric engagement of core muscles from your upper abs down through your quads.’
- ‘He was wearing a tight black shirt that showed off his nice abs and muscles.’
- ‘With each of these exercises, keep your abs contracted, shoulder blades back and down.’
- ‘Like any muscles, abs respond well to being worked slowly.’
- ‘He was not wearing a shirt at all, his biceps noticeably muscular and his 6-pack abs too.’
- ‘People find a muscular physique with great abs a very attractive and irresistible package.’
- ‘Your back and hip muscles join in to assist your abs in holding your torso still as your legs move.’
- ‘As you pull the bar down, keep your abs contracted and shoulder blades down.’
- ‘Keeping torso lifted, contract abs to draw tailbone down until you feel a stretch in the front of your left hip.’
- ‘This exercise works the hip flexors, lower abs and thighs, and increases kick strength.’
- ‘Contract abs, dropping tailbone to stabilize torso against ball, then straighten legs.’
- ‘He was dressed in a tight white T-shirt that flaunted his abs, and his muscular arms.’
1Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene, a composite plastic used to make car bodies and cases for computers and other appliances.
2Antilock braking system (for motor vehicles)
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.