One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘For a host of less well-known Scottish actors, and for the abridgers, including the writers of this article, Storyline has been an important source of work and income.’
- ‘Oh, and I also put to bed today the final few pages of an adapted-for-children-and-language-learners version of Autour de la Lune, by Jules Verne before the abridger got his hands on it.’
- ‘He shows the hand of a skilled theatrical abridger at work, surgically excising flowery and purple ‘literary’ material, and reworking the remainder for the benefit of players and playgoers.’
- ‘Sherburn's estimation of the capacities of youth was generous in comparison; this more aggressive abridger turned the nineteen volumes of Richardson's three novels into a 232-page duodecimo.’
- ‘The BBC say that this will be done ‘with our usual sensitivity’ by ‘highly experienced abridgers’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.