One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting the side or end that is furthest from the mouth, especially in animals that lack clear upper and lower sides such as echinoderms.
- ‘It is composed of only four plate circlets (three infrabasals, five basals, five radiais, and five orals), it lacks anal plates, it has radials without radial facets or arms, and the anus is along the side of the aboral cup.’
- ‘The position of these plates on the non-rudiment side of the larva suggests that ossicles occurring on the aboral surface are extraxial.’
- ‘The mouth leads to the intestine and anus, which is located in the center of the aboral surface in regular echinoids.’
- ‘When placed on their aboral side in a finger bowl of fresh, ambient temperature sea water, the tube-feet of the sea star are readily accessible.’
- ‘The interambulacrum of Meekechinus contains only three columns of plates, which is more similar than the aboral side of Pronechinus to the interpretation of the interambulacrum of the Brownwood echinocystitid.’
- 1.1 Moving or leading away from the mouth.‘propagated in an aboral direction’
- ‘Members of the phylum Ctenophora bear some general similarities to cnidarian medusae including a gelatinous mesenchymal layer and a symmetrical organization around an aboral / oral axis.’
- ‘It is equally clear that the region aboral to the marginal frame is a part of the perforate extraxial body wall (with the possible exception of the centrodorsal, which is likely imperforate extraxial).’
- ‘If the oral / aboral axis of hydra is assumed to be similar to the anterior/posterior axis of bilaterians, then Cnox - 3 is expressed near the anterior end as are labial and its homologues in bilaterians.’
- ‘However, in urchins the ambulacra parallel the oral / aboral axis, making it difficult confirm or refute a relationship between any of these axial structures and HOX genes.’
- ‘Fraction A contained the mesocolic or perirectal tissues around the tumor and 1 cm away in both oral and aboral directions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.