Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Skillfully; competently.‘Steven has summed up our concerns very ably’
skilfully, with skill, ably, competently, proficiently, adeptly, adroitly, deftly, dexterously, effectively, expertly, with expertise, admirably, excellently, consummately, professionallyView synonyms
- ‘Jimmy was ably assisted on the day by Tyrone Power, best man, James Walsh, and Stuart Murray.’
- ‘He was ably assisted by his partner Michael Togher who notched up a goal and a point.’
- ‘Her smile reflected the completeness of her happiness and ably communicated the effect of Robert's kind gesture.’
- ‘Fortunately, the writers are ably assisted by Michael Lark, one of the finest character artists in comics today.’
- ‘He was the driving force upfront, and was ably supported by the willing Richard Pugh, Duncan Jones and Ryan Jones.’
- ‘Every part in this production was well cast, and each actor plays his or her role ably.’
- ‘He was ably substituted by chief organiser Kathleen Nerney in the afternoon.’
- ‘Mr Luff was thanked for answering all questions put to him so ably.’
- ‘He was ably supported by his partner who was quite happy to play second fiddle, taking 47 balls for his five runs.’
- ‘Based on the Greek legend of Theseus trying to catch and slay the Minotaur, this is a wonderful story ably told.’
- ‘Annabel James deserved credit for a tight bowling display, ably backing up the more experienced Hughes and Jones.’
- ‘It takes a brave man to argue that empire is good, but Niall Ferguson ably and admirably makes the case.’
- ‘His team colleagues, ably captained by Robbie Powell, covered very well and registered their best points tally of the season.’
- ‘Be that as it may, I am now ably positioned to inform you that dancing is not necessarily good for the body.’
- ‘She was ably supported by Charlotte Dixon, Amie Whetstone, Jennifer Griffiths and Rachel Hsu.’
- ‘The president has ably led us through the uncertain days following the worst attack on our country in modern times.’
- ‘Those four athletes are ably backed up by Rose Tully, Tanya McHale and Olivia Flannery.’
- ‘Rathnew full back Mark Coffey had a smashing first half, ably fronted all through by Stephen Byrne.’
- ‘On this particular hike he was ably assisted by hike leaders Calvin Crawford and Leon Rougier.’
- ‘However, the quality of this single is in no doubt and it was ably supported by what was unquestionably, for me, the best video of the year.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.