One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discrimination in favor of able-bodied people.
prejudice, bias, bigotry, intolerance, narrow-mindedness, unfairness, inequity, favouritism, one-sidedness, partisanshipView synonyms
- ‘As Suzanne Pharr points out, ‘it is virtually impossible to view one oppression… in isolation because they are all connected: sexism, racism, homophobia, classism, ableism, anti-Semitism, ageism ‘.’
- ‘Some of these issues include infanticide, child abuse, incest, forced marriage, marital rape, classism, ableism, and sexism.’
- ‘Organizers have dedicated Friday to this year's symposium, which will link sexual diversity with other forms of multicultural diversity and will address homophobia, racism, discrimination and ableism.’
- ‘Their issues-which still are all women's issues-are very much entrenched in institutional oppression feeding off racism, sexism, classism, ageism and ableism.’
- ‘The noble motive of Elliott and Vasquez is to end racism, sexism, ageism, ableism, and heterosexism… just about every type of nonPC ‘ism’ in existence.’
- ‘It is arguable that other forms of oppression, such as gender oppression, sexism, ableism, ageism, etc., are also produced by capitalism.’
- ‘Please try not to promote ableism within the pages of your ‘progressive’ newsjournal, especially after you have shown that you know better.’
- ‘Either the reader must identify with the narrator and share her/his view that ableism and sexism are hurting people who need health care, or she/he must find a way to dismiss the story.’
- ‘She believes that classes in children's and young adult literature must include works that discuss racism, classism, ableism, sexism, and homophobia; otherwise, discriminatory attitudes will not change.’
- ‘Overall, Eva's function in the narrative clearly exceeds that of foil to the interlocking systems Thomson lists as ‘racism, sexism, ableism and classism’.’
- ‘It is important to realize that women with disabilities often don't conform to the stereotypes of a ‘good’ woman, wife, and/or mother and so experience both ableism and sexism simultaneously.’
- ‘We were placed in workshops where we'd have to face issues of diversity across a wide gamut, forcing us to develop an understanding of women's issues, homophobia and heterosexism, ableism.’
- ‘I find it very disturbing that a pregnant woman's wish for a healthy child is being redefined as being an expression of ableism.’
- ‘Nor was this movement particularly interested in challenging racism, classism, anti-Semitism, ageism, ableism or fatphobia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.