One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discrimination in favor of able-bodied people.
prejudice, bias, bigotry, intolerance, narrow-mindedness, unfairness, inequity, favouritism, one-sidedness, partisanshipView synonyms
- ‘Nor was this movement particularly interested in challenging racism, classism, anti-Semitism, ageism, ableism or fatphobia.’
- ‘As Suzanne Pharr points out, ‘it is virtually impossible to view one oppression… in isolation because they are all connected: sexism, racism, homophobia, classism, ableism, anti-Semitism, ageism ‘.’
- ‘Some of these issues include infanticide, child abuse, incest, forced marriage, marital rape, classism, ableism, and sexism.’
- ‘Organizers have dedicated Friday to this year's symposium, which will link sexual diversity with other forms of multicultural diversity and will address homophobia, racism, discrimination and ableism.’
- ‘It is arguable that other forms of oppression, such as gender oppression, sexism, ableism, ageism, etc., are also produced by capitalism.’
- ‘It is important to realize that women with disabilities often don't conform to the stereotypes of a ‘good’ woman, wife, and/or mother and so experience both ableism and sexism simultaneously.’
- ‘Overall, Eva's function in the narrative clearly exceeds that of foil to the interlocking systems Thomson lists as ‘racism, sexism, ableism and classism’.’
- ‘Either the reader must identify with the narrator and share her/his view that ableism and sexism are hurting people who need health care, or she/he must find a way to dismiss the story.’
- ‘Please try not to promote ableism within the pages of your ‘progressive’ newsjournal, especially after you have shown that you know better.’
- ‘I find it very disturbing that a pregnant woman's wish for a healthy child is being redefined as being an expression of ableism.’
- ‘The noble motive of Elliott and Vasquez is to end racism, sexism, ageism, ableism, and heterosexism… just about every type of nonPC ‘ism’ in existence.’
- ‘We were placed in workshops where we'd have to face issues of diversity across a wide gamut, forcing us to develop an understanding of women's issues, homophobia and heterosexism, ableism.’
- ‘She believes that classes in children's and young adult literature must include works that discuss racism, classism, ableism, sexism, and homophobia; otherwise, discriminatory attitudes will not change.’
- ‘Their issues-which still are all women's issues-are very much entrenched in institutional oppression feeding off racism, sexism, classism, ageism and ableism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.