Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The alphabet.abc, lettersView synonyms
- 1.1The rudiments of a subject.‘the ABCs of emergency heart-lung resuscitation’
- 1.2An alphabetical guide.‘an ABC of Civil War battlefields’
- 1.1The rudiments of a subject.
American Broadcasting Company.
An American-born person of Chinese descent.‘like many ABCs, his identity is a tapestry’
- ‘If it has taught us one central lesson, it may well be that the world known as Chinese America is populated with all of us - women, men, FOBs, and ABCs - and together we can better achieve our vision for tomorrow.’
- ‘Though some ABCs want to be recognized as "real Chinese," I don't.’
- ‘I'm a little surprised when an ABC has bad grammar.’
Relating to or denoting American-born people of Chinese descent.‘some ABC parents send their children to Chinese language schools’
- ‘I have an ABC friend who speaks much worse Chinese than me, but nobody pushes her to switch to English when they talk with her.’
- ‘David said he was ABC, American Born Chinese.’
1970s: from the initial letters of American-born Chinese.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.