One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action or fact of abasing or being abased; humiliation or degradation.
humility, humbleness, humiliation, belittlement, lowering, degradation, disgrace, mortificationView synonyms
- ‘Throughout history a doffed hat has symbolized defeat, humility and abasement before one's betters.’
- ‘I beg that someone will recognise my abasement and meet my very human but mutually exclusive needs.’
- ‘She allows us to examine our own appetites for public abasement without feeling guilty.’
- ‘It is not so much an abasement of self as an acknowledgment that one's own way may not be the only or even the best way.’
- ‘Welcome to the complete and total abasement of our Party.’
- ‘Perhaps what takes Hamlet so much time in the play is that a ritual of abasement needs to performed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.