One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Very quickly.‘he talks a mile a minute’
quickly, fast, swiftly, speedily, at speed, at full speed, at the speed of light, post-haste, hotfoot, at full tilt, as fast as one's legs can carry one, at a gallop, expeditiously, briskly, promptlyView synonyms
- ‘She reappeared just as quickly, talking a mile a minute.’
- ‘The admiral stared at the blank screen for a few more minutes, his mind whirling a mile a minute.’
- ‘Apparently, he pulled the ‘nicknames’ out of his head a mile a minute.’
- ‘From his home in Prince Edward Island, words spill out at a mile a minute as he describes his life as a fiddler and stepdancer.’
- ‘Thousands of emotions were rushing through my body a mile a minute.’
- ‘Right now, he's shooting his mouth off a mile a minute on his mobile.’
- ‘Within minutes, Scott had Ellie talking a mile a minute about everything she could think of.’
- ‘And we've got to wonder, if you're able to talk a mile a minute on the ground, how do you calculate the speed of speech at cruising altitude?’
- ‘Anna was breathing fast, and her heart was racing a mile a minute.’
- ‘He appears in many of the films just as he is in person - talking a mile a minute from behind thick glasses, his tongue working overtime to keep up with the rapid-fire messages from his brain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.