One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & adverb
1In fashion; up to date.
stylish, smart, elegant, chic, crisp, dapper, spruce, trim, debonair, well dressed, well groomed, well turned out, smartly dressedView synonyms
- ‘Pie was "a la mode" as commercial pie manufacturers trekked to Celebration, Fla., in April for the 2005 American Pie Council's (APC)/Crisco National Pie Championships, held in conjunction with the Great American Pie Festival.’
- ‘HOME A LA MODE. For the Grendene family, life at home is a fashionable affair that will never go out style.’
- ‘Rumors a la mode: Just a few things I've heard bouncing around...’
2(of beef) braised in wine, typically with vegetables.
- ‘Boeuf à la mode("beef in the style") is a French version of what is often known in the United States as pot roast beef.’
- ‘There are many recipes for beef a la mode.’
3North American Served with ice cream.
- ‘Brownies a la mode. Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on each serving.’
- ‘Fudgy casserole a la mode. Spoon into individual dishes and serve warm with ice cream.’
- ‘Pineapple a la mode. Place a scoop of ice cream, or yogurt in pineapple shell. Spoon pineapple pieces over ice cream and serve immediately.’
Late 16th century: French, literally ‘in the fashion’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.