One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a dish) cooked or prepared in a specified style or manner.‘fish cooked à la meunière’
- ‘French apple tart (Tarte de pommes a la Normande) is a marvellous apple tart that can be made in a pie plate or tart pan if you have one.’
- ‘Patti's Mussels a la Mariniere is reminiscent of dining in an outdoor cafe in the south of France.’
- ‘Bœuf à la bourguignon, cooked with wine, salt pork, and garnished with mushrooms and small onions, is probably the best known.’
- ‘His personal tastes were simple: he liked potatoes fried with onions, and was partial to poulet à la provençale, washed down with a little Gevrey Chambertin.’
- 1.1informal In the style or manner of.‘afternoon talk shows à la Oprah’
- ‘By November 1964 the name of the game was no longer whether to expand the war à la Rostow, but how to do so.’
- ‘In one of a series of bald generalizations à la Malamuth.’
- ‘Although returning aristocrats tended to favor powdered hair and tight-fitting knee breeches in the old style, most middle-class men wore trousers or pantaloons and kept their hair in a natural style, whether tousled or à la Titus.’
- ‘Rachel made her way to the arms of her beau-in-waiting, who was dressed to the nines in Scottish garb - kilt and all, à la Sean Connery.’
- ‘Grover also claims that truth is not a substantive or naturalistic property, but this claim is compatible with truth being an insubstantial or nonnaturalistic property (also à la Horwich).’
- ‘Chicken a la Good.’
- ‘To rewrite, à la Pierre Menard, Almodovar's latest dedication, these words would go out to my untold charises and charites, my poets, my image-makers, my melody-weavers; to the one who entered eternity with me, to my son.’
- ‘Or maybe even a witty pun à la the early Schwarzenegger films…’
- ‘Or is some new, unexpected historical subject, à la Hardt and Negri, slouching toward the supercity?’
- ‘Nietzsche's understanding of nihilism has to be set in the Russian context alluded to in Chapter 2 with Dostoevsky - what he called ‘nihilism à la Petersburg’.’
- ‘His main suggestion was that the Sun should think about introducing a visually-led features page across its centre pages, à la the Avenue pages which featured in the Post.’
- ‘But it was not a restoration à la Ferdinand VII: absolutism was consigned to history and real power was vested in the Prime Minister, Cánovas.’
French, from à la mode.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.