One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Words in recommendation or defense of a person.‘I hoped you might put in a good word for me with your friends’
recommendation, commendation, endorsement, a good wordView synonyms
- ‘Nobody had a good word to say about their departed leader.’
- ‘When I did the research, nobody had a good word to say about him.’
- ‘The document does, however, pause to put in a good word for lower tax rates.’
- ‘He had a good word for everyone and loved meeting up with old friends.’
- ‘It never seems anybody ever has a good word for him.’
- ‘These guys were definitely ready to put in a good word for me at the auto parts distributors warehouse where they worked.’
- ‘Not one of them was prepared to say a good word about the film, which they regarded as a complete travesty of their family history.’
- ‘As a politician, his one mistake was, as I recall, telephoning a member of the judiciary and putting in a good word for a constituent.’
- ‘No one I speak to has a good word to say about the council.’
- ‘I deeply, deeply believe in the enormous significance of their work and put in a good word for them wherever I can.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.