One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of elite soldiers or the top advisers or workers in an organization.
- ‘When the A-team members left, they took a lot of their high-tech equipment with them.’
- ‘The so-called A-team, which directed American bombers to enemy positions, helped to unseat the enemy and made a huge contribution to the war, its commander said.’
- ‘Together they form a formidable A-team of masterful musicians who are so special you feel that they are capable of tilting the world on its axis.’
- ‘At his initial meeting with the A-team squad on June 26, all but two said that they backed their senior colleagues, and they signed a letter to that effect and sent it to the board.’
- ‘In one incident, a U.S. Special Forces A-team, accompanied by a Canadian reconnaissance squadron, encountered a group of Somalis who had been wounded in an earlier clash.’
- ‘Truth be told, though, this isn't much of an A-team.’
- ‘It doesn't help that they didn't assign their A-team to this film.’
- ‘Star manager Michael Jordan left active duty in 1998, but he remained on the board and his A-team of managers ran the funds.’
- ‘Due diligence was also required to get the capital needed, so Wright assigned the job to his A-team.’
- ‘He has recruited an A-team from Corporate America to help pull off a radical turnaround.’
- ‘You'll meet an A-team, a very special group of special forces soldiers here doing a very difficult mission.’
- ‘The company's sense of itself was founded on an A-team working happily and fruitfully together.’
- ‘Despite this Lee cannot get so much as a look-in at the A-team squad.’
- ‘Come on BBC, put the A-team behind the mikes for the men's final.’
- ‘This was the largest number of A-teams in the field for one operation, surpassing the total number of ODAs engaged at any one time during the Vietnam War-about 85.’
- ‘So the Special Forces A-team directed a precision bomb right outside the commander's headquarters.’
- ‘He also had a luncheon meeting with his A-team along with the executive directors.’
- ‘Their own A-team has taken to the streets to help police battle crime.’
- ‘‘We've got our A-team out here,’ Sergeant Bradley says.’
- ‘‘The area has never been cleared,’ says Captain Don Ray, who commands the Special Forces A-team based in Kunduz.’
1970s: from sports terminology in which an organization's A-team is its best team.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.