One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having or involving an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.‘she's phobic about spiders’‘treatment for phobic anxiety’
- ‘Sometimes birds can be phobic about the smallest things.’
- ‘Parents can help children develop the skills and confidence to overcome fears so that they don't evolve into phobic reactions.’
- ‘Canada's most phobic generation of parents rules out anything with a stick or a bat.’
- ‘Once this goal is accomplished, patients are encouraged to re-enter phobic situations to help extinguish the avoidance behaviour.’
- ‘Phobic avoidance may manifest itself, for instance, in a soldier being terrified of his combat uniform.’
- ‘He was phobic about migrants from the next-door country.’
- ‘The goal of treatment is to help the phobic person function effectively.’
- ‘Those emails you wrote aren't the kind of thing that comes from someone who's phobic about romance.’
- ‘The more he avoided it, the more phobic he became about it.’
- ‘I'm almost phobic about zombies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.