Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to low-fat or low-sugar versions of manufactured food or drink products.‘lite beer’
- ‘Feel free to dress up your dish with some sautéed garlic, low-fat tub margarine, lemon juice, or lite soy sauce.’
- ‘A lite product contains no more than half the fat, half the sodium or one-third the calories of the original.’
- ‘So I'm not going to argue with the officials - I am going to bring all Americans together in one big stadium, where we can munch on the hot dogs of freedom and drink the lite beer of diversity and cheer for the future of this country!’
- ‘Note: coconut milk is one of the few plant products that's high in saturated fat, so use a lite or lowfat version.’
- ‘If every day you take in just 100 calories more than you burn - the equivalent of a lite beer or two-thirds of a can of soda - over a year, ‘you'll be the owner of 10 pounds of new body fat,’ says O'Neil.’
- ‘Meanwhile, it continues to carry lite, low-fat and fat-free ice cream as well as fat-free frozen yogurt.’
- ‘I grabbed a lite beer from the fridge and set it in front of her as she lit a cigarette from the candle flaming next to her.’
- 1.1informal [often postpositive] Denoting a simpler or less challenging version of a particular thing or person.‘a sort of newspaper lite—a snappy tabloid filled with shorter news pieces and extra sports and entertainment’‘the film was dismissed by many of the more serious critics as Woody Allen lite’
- ‘So blogging will be lite this week at this address.’
- ‘All the same, the term ‘airport book’ still stands for lite reading.’
- ‘Racing games to me are palate cleansers, lite diversions in between more serious gaming experiences.’
1950s: a commercial respelling of light, light.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.