Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A diagram showing the relation between variable quantities, typically of two variables, each measured along one of a pair of axes at right angles.
chart, diagram, gridhistogram, bar chart, pie chart, scatter diagram, nomogram, nomographView synonyms
- ‘Indeed, an accompanying bar graph illustrated what many of us have suspected all along.’
- ‘The graph above shows the ‘survival curves’, which shows how long patients survived in each group.’
- ‘These personnel also undertook much of the preparation of the visual evidential aids such as isographs, histograms, graphs, bar charts, photographs, tables, as built programmes and overlays.’
- ‘Their eyes teeming with concentration searched the graphs and numbers on the screen intently as the information changed second by second.’
- ‘However, the manually plotted graphs were time consuming and susceptible to drafting errors.’
- ‘In fact, all the real values are already in the graph along the x axis also called the real axis.’
- ‘Bar charts, bar graphs, pie charts, or other charts and graphs are one of the most common methods of displaying information of various kinds.’
- ‘And just last fortnight the country's leading economic newspaper produced a page full of pie charts and graphs devoted to tracking bumps and dips in consumer viewing.’
- ‘The tool should also be able to generate a report easily through graphs and diagrams of the data and their relationships.’
- ‘The data may be visual, ie., images, charts, graphs, or diagrams or a written description.’
- ‘Error bars in the graphs reflect the standard deviation of 10 repeated runs.’
- ‘I've seen the pie charts and graphs so there's no arguing with their facts and findings.’
- ‘I think it's very useful to have simple pie charts and graphs telling a colour-coded story.’
- ‘In general the text is slowed by frequent resort to lists of statistics that would be conveyed more effectively in a simple graph or diagram.’
- ‘You can chart variables on a graph and look at speed, power (a calculated estimate), temperature and altitude.’
- ‘I can download data on to my PC for an intensive analysis, complete with color-coded graphs and bar charts.’
- ‘The inset graph shows the initial rate of water loss from these samples.’
- ‘It is easier to see what is happening if we plot the ratios on a graph.’
- ‘No amount of surveys, graphs and pie charts will ever make me understand why this occurs.’
- ‘He notes that the pair provide graphs but no statistical analysis of their data.’
- 1.1Mathematics A collection of points whose coordinates satisfy a given relation.
- ‘For a time there was controversy over this issue, but it's now clear that the threshold phenomena in graphs and other mathematical structures are genuine phase transitions.’
- ‘The second form is based on walks over complete graphs and offers numerically tractable solutions for an increasing number of taxa.’
- ‘Links on the Web and citation relations between scientific articles can both be described as mathematical graphs.’
- ‘Otherwise, the implication is that the use of coordinate graphs simply adds to the learner's syntactic translational problem.’
- ‘A directed graph is a collection of nodes and edges.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation of graphic formula.
A visual symbol representing a unit of sound or other feature of speech. Graphs include not only letters of the alphabet but also punctuation marks.
- ‘The initial step is the conversion of the word sequences to a phoneme transcription graph.’
- ‘For example, many children's names contain trigraphs and digraphs and graphs that represent phonemes other than those taught as "the appropriate sound".’
- ‘In the present invention, the lexical graph has phoneme branches.’
1930s: from Greek graphē writing.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.