One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A long interval or period.‘see you before long’‘it will not be for long’
soon, shortly, presently, in the near future, in a short time, in a little while, in a minute, in a momentView synonyms
- ‘Before long they had three young daughters.’
- ‘Before long you're plotting weekends cycling in the country and perhaps a touring holiday or two.’
- ‘Before long, fantasy not only intrudes into reality but becomes the only reality.’
- ‘He insisted that he had problems adapting to society after spending so long behind bars.’
- ‘Before long the story spread throughout the city of the crazy man who had purchased a dream.’
- ‘Why does it take so long to mend an escalator?’
- ‘Before too long the mass denial and the conspiracy theories will flourish again.’
- ‘A family business cannot survive for long without a family to run as well as own it.’
- ‘Then discuss it, but not for long, because this is a technique actors use to delay standing up and doing it.’
2A long sound such as a long signal in Morse code or a long vowel or syllable.‘two longs and a short’
- ‘He blew two longs, a short and a long on the steam whistle as the train inched toward its top speed of 20 miles an hour.’
- ‘SOS is three longs, followed by three shorts, and another three longs.’
Long-dated securities, especially gilt-edged securities.
- ‘At this level we will accumulate dollar longs and warn buyers of gold stocks to watch out for a renewed decline if the dollar's seasonal pattern holds true.’
- ‘As such we have exited longs and will look to buy again after the coming retracement.’
- ‘In a weekly uptrend, continue adding to longs whenever the force index turns negative; continually add to shorts in downtrends whenever the force index turns positive.’
- ‘If the dollar rises, gold will face pressure and may need to shake out more of the weaker longs before resuming its rise.’
- 3.1 Assets held in a long position.
- ‘The risk of the longs is that the price will fall.’
- ‘Looking at the pattern of returns emerging from the whole portfolio - mixing up longs and shorts and any currency overlays - does not give enough information.’
- ‘What this tells us is that the funds had begun to not only eliminate longs but were in the process of actually building a short position since the technical indicators had all flipped negative.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.