Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Relating to genes.‘a genic mutation’
- ‘Reproductive isolation is often caused by the disruption of genic interactions that evolve in geographically separate populations.’
- ‘This, in turn, should help us identify selective forces that act within genes and thereby understand which genic features are of functional significance.’
- ‘More generally, there is a need to discriminate between the effects of chromosomal rearrangements and linked genic incompatibilities in both plants and animals.’
- ‘The simplest case involving natural selection is genic selection in the absence of extinction and recolonization.’
- ‘Therefore, different grass lineages show lineage-specific patterns of local evolution in genic and intergenic sequences.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.