One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A natural or man-made site, area, or structure recognized as being of outstanding international importance and therefore as deserving special protection. Sites are nominated to and designated by the World Heritage Convention (an organization of UNESCO).
- ‘The caves have been designated as a World Heritage Site by the UN.’
- ‘It is very visible, on the edge of a World Heritage Site and in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.’
- ‘It is a massive project aimed at saving an extraordinary urban zone that UNESCO proclaimed a World Heritage Site in 1982.’
- ‘Hadrian's Wall was made a World Heritage Site by Unesco in 1987.’
- ‘Academic experts on Tara have described the valley as a unique landscape deserving of the highest level of protection and want Tara designated a World Heritage Site.’
- ‘The United Nations declared the Selous Game Reserve a World Heritage Site in 1982.’
- ‘He said that he was aware of a town in Scotland that had a similar heritage to Portlaw and was now designated as a World Heritage Site.’
- ‘Shark Bay meets all the criteria required by Unesco to designate it a World Heritage Site.’
- ‘The temple, now identified as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, replicates the legendary Chariot of the Sun.’
- ‘In third place is Fountains Abbey, the World Heritage Site near Ripon in North Yorkshire.’
- ‘Recently UNESCO announced the city of Halong as a World Heritage Site.’
- ‘Why did the Piton Management Area get World Heritage Site status?’
- ‘It was designated a World Heritage Site by Unesco in 2003.’
- ‘The Selous was designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1982 due to the significance of both its flora and fauna.’
- ‘In 1992, soon after UNESCO declared the entire area a World Heritage Site, French conservationists returned to literally pick up the pieces.’
- ‘The devices will be field tested this June at the Masada World Heritage Site near Israel's Dead Sea.’
- ‘Cradle of French civilization in America, Quebec City with its historic district is recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.’
- ‘Stonehenge was declared a World Heritage Site in 1986’
- ‘Mount Stewart with its magnificent 18th century mansion set in 78 acres was designated a World Heritage Site in 1999.’
- ‘Today, it is the only house in the United States designated as a World Heritage Site, and it became America's first National Horticultural Landmark in 1998.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.