Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A city in north central California, northwest of Sacramento; population 54,567 (est. 2008)
Land covered with trees.‘large areas of ancient woodland’[as modifier] ‘woodland birds are often drably colored’
woods, wood, forest, treesgreenwoodboscageView synonyms
- ‘They sketched woodland plants and trees and learned how to use a digital camera.’
- ‘Trees and woodlands take centuries to mature but may be felled in an instant.’
- ‘It was also argued that the site proposed had a level of tree cover, but was not woodland.’
- ‘And its fragility makes it a good early indicator of the decline of ancient woodlands.’
- ‘Schoolchildren who planted trees on a site in Barnoldswick will be able to watch them grow into one of the area's most important woodlands.’
- ‘Murder squad detectives have been drafted in after a body was found partly buried in woodlands by a man walking his dog.’
- ‘There were also fears about the effect the fire would have on the area's oak woodlands, which are an important habitat for birds and plants.’
- ‘If we are successful, we can begin to restore this once majestic ancient woodland to its former glory.’
- ‘As we made our way along the pretty woodland walk, we gradually became aware of a distant and muffled rumble.’
- ‘It plans to plant at least 35,000 trees in parks and woodlands across the UK.’
- ‘Clouts Wood is an area of ancient woodland of oak and ash, one mile south of Wroughton.’
- ‘It was the third such event in the ancient woodland in less than a year.’
- ‘It stood on the edge of a village whose name it shared and was bounded by many acres of ancient woodland.’
- ‘Adams said foxes that did not come out of the cover of woodlands or were injured could still be legitimately killed by the hound pack.’
- ‘There are beautiful walks amid woodland and stunning waterfalls in the Falls of Clyde.’
- ‘The Woodland Trust do a lot of work fighting to preserve our ancient woodlands, also working to improve the growth of the woods naturally.’
- ‘It also looks at ways of supporting the indigenous timber industry and using woodlands to improve health, landscape and wildlife.’
- ‘One area being highlighted is at Bilsdale, where ancient woodlands are to be restored.’
- ‘Nineteen percent of the land is arable and 46 percent consists of forests and woodlands.’
- ‘Beneath the heavy canopy of foliage, she captured the spirit of these woodlands of giant trees.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.