One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A historic city in northwestern Virginia, in the Shenandoah Valley; population 25,897 (est. 2008).
2A city in southern England, the county town of Hampshire; population 43,800 (est. 2009). Known to the Romans as Venta Belgarum, it became capital of the West Saxon kingdom of Wessex in 519. It is the site of Winchester College, one of the oldest private schools in England, founded by the bishop of Winchester, William of Wykeham, in 1382.
1trademark A breech-loading side-action repeating rifle.
- ‘At Plevna the Russians' use of howitzers firing over the heads of their assault troops negated the Turks superior infantry firepower - provided by Winchester rifles - by forcing the defenders to take cover against the bursting shells.’
- ‘Millions upon millions of traditional ejecting Winchesters have been sold so there must be something comfortably right about them.’
- ‘The three-position safety is reminiscent of Winchesters and allows operation of the bolt for unloading while in the middle, but still safe, position.’
- ‘The new Winchesters feature inertial triggers and a conventional tang safety that also doubles as a barrel selector.’
- ‘The 1885, as with most Winchesters of the time, was offered with many options including barrel length, round, octagon barrels or a combination thereof, set triggers, fancy wood and special sights.’
A disk drive in a sealed unit containing a high-capacity hard disk and the read-write heads.
- ‘But the fiercely competitive makers of Winchester drives have fought off foreign competition.’
- ‘As time goes by, it is becoming harder to get hold of spares or some of the more exciting bits of hardware like second processors or Winchester drives.’
- ‘When hard drives started appearing in personal computers, computer guys would ask, ‘Does it have a Winchester drive?’’
- ‘News Seagate is hoping to build a new direction for hard disk development by acquiring a startup that implements optical technology on Winchester drives to increase data density.’
- ‘Many people don't realize that the founding fathers of the Winchester disk drive at IBM Corporation originally mandated that the computer's primary storage device, the magnetic hard disk drive, was to be removable.’
From the name of name of Oliver F. Winchester (1810–80), the American manufacturer of the rifle. Winchester (sense 2) is so named because its original numerical designation corresponded to the caliber of the rifle.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.