Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dish consisting of a thin slice of veal that is breaded, fried, and garnished.
- ‘Or perhaps you'll be tempted to try the house specialty, Wiener schnitzel?’
- ‘The menu for the evening was incredible: champagne, caviar, smoked salmon, pate, Wiener schnitzel and of course, Sachertorte.’
- ‘Lunch is usually the main meal of the day and consists of soup and a main course of meat - sausage, the widely popular Wiener schnitzel (breaded veal), chicken, beef, pork or fish.’
- ‘I hammered it when it opened because the Wiener schnitzel was a bit tough and I wasn't crazy about the wine glasses.’
- ‘We gladly moved on to the main courses: a classic Wiener schnitzel and roasted rabbit in a black olive sauce.’
From German, literally Vienna cutlet.
Wiener schnitzel/ˈvēnər ˌSHnitsəl/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.