One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A diagnostic test for syphilis using a specific antibody reaction (the Wassermann reaction) of the patient's blood serum.
- ‘The possibility of this he steadily denied, and his word was borne out by the Wassermann tests, which consistently gave negative results, though tried again and again.’
- ‘He returned to San Antonio, where he performed the first Wassermann tests in the state.’
- ‘For years Wassermann tests have been carried out in routine management of pregnancy, to warn of possible miscarriage or to prevent congenital syphilis in the infant.’
- ‘A considerable volume of routine serologic work, notably Wassermann tests, was also accomplished.’
- ‘More sensitive than the Wassermann test, the Kahn test could be completed in a matter of minutes.’
Early 20th century: named after August P. Wassermann (1866–1925), German pathologist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.