Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A brass instrument of baritone pitch with an oval shape and upward-pointing bell, combining features of the tuba and the French horn and first used in Wagner's "Der Ring des Nibelungen"
- ‘Then there is a piano, a celesta and the two Wagner tubas, which are part of a group of fifteen wind instruments.’
- ‘The repertoire for the Wagner tuba is severely limited, but unsurpassed for sheer quality.’
- ‘Valved horns were permitted, in the light of Wagner's own equivocation about them, joining those valved horn hybrids known as Wagner tubas.’
- ‘His Wagner tuba was an especially fine instrument, made by the Stradivarius Gadget Works in Birmingham.’
- ‘Just like the standard horn in F, the Wagner tuba is written a fifth higher than sounding.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.