Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A smoke-cured ham from a hog fed on peanuts and corn.
- ‘Frankenbrow looks at Kendall as if she were yesterday's Virginia ham.’
- ‘That was just one course of the party fare that included Virginia ham, cheese biscuits, seafood gumbo, salmon, a wealth of side dishes and an array of sophisticated Mexican food.’
- ‘Yunnan ham, the finest of Chinese hams, is made by a supposedly secret process, but is similar to a Virginia ham in its relative leanness.’
- ‘One day, I'll spring for a spiral cut or Virginia ham and she can feast on it.’
- ‘‘Harry, just do me one favor, okay? ‘she smiled, and then with an amused tone in her voice said, ‘Fly by Smithfield and pick up a Virginia ham.’’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.