Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A painful ulcerative condition of the inside of the mouth or of the gums, associated with trench mouth.
- ‘Oral cavity conditions that can produce halitosis are dentures, chronic periodontal disease, coated tongue and Vincent's angina.’
- ‘Throat swabs should be collected for streptococcal sore throat, diphtheria, Vincent's angina, thrush, and gonococcal pharyngeal infection.’
- ‘He was much better in the morning and a throat swab demonstrated that the Vincent's angina had disappeared.’
- ‘Had a case been only Vincent's angina one would not have expected pharyngeal paralysis to develop, but in most cases, whether they received N.A.B. or not, it did.’
- ‘Sometimes, tonsillitis is caused by a superinfection of spirochaeta and treponema, in this case called Vincent's angina or Plaut-Vincent angina.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.