Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of a communist-dominated nationalist movement, formed in 1941, that fought for Vietnamese independence from French rule. Members of the Vietminh later joined with the Vietcong.
- ‘The decisive battle of the war developed in the spring of 1954 as the Vietminh attacked the French fortress of Dien Bien Phu in northern Vietnam.’
- ‘US support had been crucial for the French war effort against the Vietminh.’
- ‘By 1947 they controlled the main cities and roads, but the countryside answered to the Vietminh.’
- ‘The Vietminh used them effectively against the French in Indochina.’
- ‘In Vietnam the target of containment was Ho Chi Minh and the Vietminh front he had created in 1941.’
- ‘As a member of the Vietminh he led an anti-French demonstration there in 1949 and in 1950 was imprisoned for criticism of US involvement in the area.’
- ‘The communists in Vietnam had formed an effective anti-Japanese resistance movement, the Vietminh, which was strongest in the north, where it had the advantage of a base in China.’
- ‘He was at Dien Bien Phu when the Vietminh defeated the French Army in 1954.’
- ‘These men were motivated by different factors from those that influenced the volunteers of 1914, or the ideologically charged soldiers of the Vietminh and Vietcong in the 1950s and 1960s.’
- ‘The problem was not with French airpower but with the French strategy for defeating the Vietminh.’
From Vietnamese Viet -Nam Dôc-Lâp Dông- Minh Vietnamese Independence League.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.