One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A diagram representing mathematical or logical sets pictorially as circles or closed curves within an enclosing rectangle (the universal set), common elements of the sets being represented by the areas of overlap among the circles.
- ‘Create a Venn diagram mapping the common links and differences between the two genres.’
- ‘For example, in proofs about sets, Venn diagrams provided a useful part of a concept image in some cases.’
- ‘Graphically it would be a Venn diagram of interconnecting circles - a community of ideological risk takers.’
- ‘It takes me back to my school days, when I was taught to use Venn diagrams in the maths class.’
- ‘In the Venn diagram of our musical tastes, the intersection of the circles is marked ‘world/roots’.’
- ‘This site is for the instruction of referees - it's a sort of English Football Profanity Matrix complete with Venn diagrams.’
- ‘Tags are multi-dimensional, and only look flat, in the way Venn diagrams look flat.’
- ‘‘It's like a perfect Venn diagram,’ says Schriber, referring to the kind of graph that employs overlapping circles to illustrate logical relationships.’
- ‘The combined Venn diagram indicates that, as currently defined, both the Syzraniidae and Geinitzinidae are paraphyletic taxa.’
- ‘CD collections in a relationship are like Venn diagrams.’
- ‘Try not to think in terms of congruent shapes, but in terms of Venn diagrams.’
- ‘Euler is the originator of Venn diagrams, at least according to Kneale and Kneale.’
- ‘These aren't mutually exclusive, of course - they're intersecting areas of a Venn diagram.’
- ‘Before reading further, you may wish to brush up on Venn diagrams.’
- ‘So, Facs started all her insane plans and even drew mind maps and Venn diagrams for organization.’
- ‘Imagine this article as a Venn diagram: two Fringe plays with an area of intersection.’
- ‘You may need to use several Venn diagrams, depending on the number of organisms chosen.’
- ‘Others may relate to comparisons, suggesting pie charts or Venn diagrams.’
- ‘As Gerald Corbett pointed to flow charts and Venn diagrams, he uttered one word which sent the Prime Minister's temper soaring.’
- ‘The next day in English, Mrs. Banville made an announcement about the Venn diagrams.’
Early 20th century: named after John Venn (1834–1923), English logician.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.