Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A diagram representing mathematical or logical sets pictorially as circles or closed curves within an enclosing rectangle (the universal set), common elements of the sets being represented by the areas of overlap among the circles.
- ‘Graphically it would be a Venn diagram of interconnecting circles - a community of ideological risk takers.’
- ‘Before reading further, you may wish to brush up on Venn diagrams.’
- ‘‘It's like a perfect Venn diagram,’ says Schriber, referring to the kind of graph that employs overlapping circles to illustrate logical relationships.’
- ‘Imagine this article as a Venn diagram: two Fringe plays with an area of intersection.’
- ‘You may need to use several Venn diagrams, depending on the number of organisms chosen.’
- ‘It takes me back to my school days, when I was taught to use Venn diagrams in the maths class.’
- ‘The combined Venn diagram indicates that, as currently defined, both the Syzraniidae and Geinitzinidae are paraphyletic taxa.’
- ‘This site is for the instruction of referees - it's a sort of English Football Profanity Matrix complete with Venn diagrams.’
- ‘Create a Venn diagram mapping the common links and differences between the two genres.’
- ‘In the Venn diagram of our musical tastes, the intersection of the circles is marked ‘world/roots’.’
- ‘These aren't mutually exclusive, of course - they're intersecting areas of a Venn diagram.’
- ‘The next day in English, Mrs. Banville made an announcement about the Venn diagrams.’
- ‘Try not to think in terms of congruent shapes, but in terms of Venn diagrams.’
- ‘For example, in proofs about sets, Venn diagrams provided a useful part of a concept image in some cases.’
- ‘As Gerald Corbett pointed to flow charts and Venn diagrams, he uttered one word which sent the Prime Minister's temper soaring.’
- ‘Others may relate to comparisons, suggesting pie charts or Venn diagrams.’
- ‘So, Facs started all her insane plans and even drew mind maps and Venn diagrams for organization.’
- ‘CD collections in a relationship are like Venn diagrams.’
- ‘Tags are multi-dimensional, and only look flat, in the way Venn diagrams look flat.’
- ‘Euler is the originator of Venn diagrams, at least according to Kneale and Kneale.’
Early 20th century: named after John Venn (1834–1923), English logician.
Venn diagram/ˈven ˌdīəˌɡram/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.