A type of petroleum jelly used as an ointment and lubricant.
- ‘They wore walking shoes and boots rather than runners, brought about 20 to 30 pairs of socks with them so that they could change them several times a day and used vaseline and methylated spirits to protect their feet.’
- ‘I apply vaseline each morning and use nappy-rash cream each evening.’
- ‘We especially need medical supplies such as Sudocream, bandages, vaseline, syringes, any antibiotics, painkillers, even rubber gloves would be great.’
- ‘She got some vaseline and polished Meadow's hooves.’
- ‘Every winter in Pune, my skin would go dry and I would have to apply vaseline or some cold cream to my lips and face.’
Cover or smear with Vaseline.
- ‘If you really must go for a jog in the middle of a thunder storm, remember to vaseline nipples thoroughly beforehand.’
Late 19th century: formed irregularly from German Wasser water + Greek elaion olive oil + -ine.