Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of the four Hindu castes, Brahman, Kshatriya, Vaishya, and Shudra.
class, social class, order, social order, social division, grade, grading, group, grouping, station, stratum, echelon, rank, level, degree, setView synonyms
- ‘The varna of a person almost entirely depends on training and circumstances.’
- ‘Traditionally, there were four main varnas, plus one group of outsiders.’
- ‘Hinduism recognises four varnas based on occupation (jati or jat) and ancestry.’
- ‘Vedic civilization is based on four varnas (divisions of society), but there are people who do not fit within these four.’
- ‘Strictly speaking, class and caste are different social institutions, though castes are often assumed to fit into the four varnas.’
Sanskrit, literally ‘color, class’.
A port and resort in eastern Bulgaria, on the western shores of the Black Sea; population 318,313 (2008)
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.