One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of the four Hindu castes, Brahman, Kshatriya, Vaishya, and Shudra.
class, social class, order, social order, social division, grade, grading, group, grouping, station, stratum, echelon, rank, level, degree, setView synonyms
- ‘Hinduism recognises four varnas based on occupation (jati or jat) and ancestry.’
- ‘The varna of a person almost entirely depends on training and circumstances.’
- ‘Strictly speaking, class and caste are different social institutions, though castes are often assumed to fit into the four varnas.’
- ‘Vedic civilization is based on four varnas (divisions of society), but there are people who do not fit within these four.’
- ‘Traditionally, there were four main varnas, plus one group of outsiders.’
Sanskrit, literally ‘color, class’.
A port and resort in eastern Bulgaria, on the western shores of the Black Sea; population 318,313 (2008)
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.