One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the United States.‘the Usonian city’
- ‘Only in freedom can we build the Usonian city.’
- 1.1 Relating to or denoting the style of buildings designed in the 1930s by Frank Lloyd Wright, characterized by inexpensive construction and flat roofs.
- ‘Although Wright later designed several Usonian buildings in Ohio, the Westcott House in Springfield is his only prairie-style house in the state.’
- ‘This descendant of Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian houses became ubiquitous across the post World War II landscape, and architects adore its open, one-story plan.’
- ‘Once the most stately and formal room in the house, the dining room passed out of existence in the Usonian house.’
- ‘Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian houses are of a scale that you can live in.’
- ‘This wasn't one of Wright's major buildings, but in the context of surviving Usonian homes it's very important.’
1A native or inhabitant of the United States.
- ‘Well, as a Usonian, I don't recognize 0 as an age.’
- ‘It affirms the insecurity of Usonians in their own culture, and their abiding faith that Frenchifying something gives it class.’
- ‘She is one of the second generation Usonians who moved back with her own family eight years ago.’
- ‘I'm thinking right now a half magnum of rye - that's whiskey to you Usonians - might help get the job done.’
- ‘Forty per cent of Usonians speak Spanish as a native language, not to mention the many who speak it as a second language.’
- 1.1 A house built in the 1930s by Frank Lloyd Wright.
- ‘This website on Wright's first Usonian House, the Jacobs House of 1936 (built for $5500, including architect's fee), offers a good idea of the principles on which all Usonians were based.’
- ‘The Penfield House was built in 1955 for $25,000 and is one of Wright's ‘Usonians.’’
- ‘In contrast to other common styles of the time, Wright's Usonians were easily recognizable.’
- ‘When referring to low cost Usonians you really have to focus on the late 1930s. Labor was cheap then and elaborate craftsmanship easily affordable.’
Early 20th century: an acronym from United States + -onian after Amazonian, Devonian, etc..
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.