One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the planet Uranus.‘Uranian moons are traditionally given Shakespearean names’
- ‘Unlike other large Uranian moons, the surface of Umbriel has remained unchanged since the early times of the Solar System.’
- ‘Several of the Uranian moons can be seen, along with bright areas on the cloud-canopied planet itself.’
- ‘Today we're going to visualize the sky from the Uranian moon 1986U10, whose orbit lies between that of two other moons whose orbits are themselves less than 500 kilometers apart!’
- ‘The moons are orbiting even closer to the planet than the five major Uranian satellites, which are several hundred miles wide.’
- ‘The typical Uranian type is primarily different.’
- ‘It was more than sixty years before the next two Uranian moons, Ariel and Umbriel, were discovered.’
- ‘After Uranus was discovered in 1781, astronomers inferred the presence of another planet from the shape of the Uranian orbit.’
- ‘Fortunately, there is one area of Uranian science - the rings - for which the new Keck observations have been able to test existing theories, and collapse them to one successful explanation for ring behavior.’
(in science fiction) an imagined inhabitant of Uranus.
1Relating to heaven; celestial.
A homosexual.gay, lesbian, gay person, lesbigayView synonyms
Early 17th century: from Urania + -an.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.