Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mottled green and yellow citrus fruit that is a hybrid of grapefruit and tangerine.
- ‘Can you guess which one is the Ugli fruit?’
- ‘With its loose, wrinkled skin, the Ugli fruit lives up to its deliberately misspelled name.’
- ‘However, the nutritional content of Ugli fruit is probably comparable to that of other citrus fruits.’
- ‘Also in the grapefruit family is the Ugli fruit, also marketed as the Uniq.’
- ‘Still, Ugli fruit is quite fun to say!’
1930s: ugli, alteration of ugly.
Ugli fruit/ˈəɡlē ˌfro͞ot/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.