One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an indigenous people inhabiting parts of southern Mexico.
- ‘That shared commitment to peace has brought us and the Tzotzils of Chenalhó together to learn from each other.’
- ‘The objective of this investigation is to document the linguistic and ethnobiological heritage of the Tzotzils of Venustiano Carranza, Chiapas, Mexico.’
- ‘The Tzotzils planted their corn on steep, rocky slopes, wove clothes on traditional backstrap looms, ground corn by hand and patted out mountains of tortillas over smoky fires.’
- ‘From then on, nearly three hundred Indians, mainly Tzotzils, have converted to Islam in Chiapas.’
- ‘From c.1960, Tzeltals and Tzotzils migrated to the region from central Chiapas.’
- ‘In the hamlet of Tzajalemel in 1868, breakaway Tzotzils worshiping a talking saint established a moneyless economy with a sophisticated barter system.’
- ‘Among some groups, such as Tzotzils, costume is not simply clothing, it is a mark distinguishing group from group.’
- ‘Now numbering some 330,000, the Tzotzils in the mountains of Chiapas have never been fully assimilated into the Catholic, Hispanic world since Spain conquered Mexico in the 1500s.’
- ‘In general, the traditional lands of the Tzeltals lie at lower elevations than the lands of the Tzotzils.’
- ‘San Juan Chamula is the principal town of the Tzotzils, with a population of around 80,000-it is also the main religious and economic center of the community.’
- ‘Sheep husbandry among the Tzotzils is the exclusive responsibility of women, and it accounts for up to 36% of family income.’
- ‘Mr Sterk says that, when evangelicals first come in, the Tzotzils want to defend their spiritual world.’
2The Mayan language of the Tzotzil.
- ‘They sit on the rim of the back of the truck, laughing and joking in their native tongue of Tzotzil while holding on for dear life.’
- ‘Tzotzil appears to contrast both physical and mental proximity, if I'm reading my source right.’
Relating to the Tzotzil or their language.
- ‘In Chiapas, Maya of the Tzeltal and Tzotzil tribes took part in the Zapatista uprising of January 1994.’
- ‘A native of the Tzotzil ethnic group, she lives in a small rural town 130 miles away from San Cristóbal de las Casas, the capital city of the southern Mexican state of Chiapas.’
- ‘Tzotzil people make up the largest indigenous group in Mexic´s southernmost state of Chiapas.’
The name in Tzotzil.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.