Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a class of compounds used especially as emulsifiers and surfactants. They are derivatives of fatty acid esters of sorbitan.
- ‘We have studied the effect of the detergent Tween 20 on transient pores and the line tension in DOPC bilayers.’
- ‘Genomic DNA from each mutant colony was extracted using a Tween - 20 / proteinase K digestion mixture.’
- ‘With the addition of PEEP in the Tween + PEEP group, alveoli were stabilized, with I - E [Delta] values similar to Control levels.’
- ‘The PSGL - 1 microbeads were then blocked with a Tween - 20 solution as described above.’
- ‘Similar results for the SOS Chromotest were obtained with various non-ionic surfactants, such as Tween 20 and 80, Triton X - 305 and Tyloxapol.’
1940s: of unknown origin.
- short for tweenager
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.