Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An order of reptiles that comprises the turtles, terrapins, and tortoises. They are distinguished by having a shell of bony plates covered with horny scales, and many kinds are aquatic.Also called (especially formerly) Chelonia
- ‘Most likely, Testudines progressed in a unique evolutionary direction.’
- ‘In terms of molecular structure, the researchers found the order Testudines to be closely related to the more recently evolved order Crocodilia.’
- ‘All these taxa are relevant to the history of the conquest of land by vertebrates because they are outside the large clades of extant tetrapods (Apoda, Caudata, Anura, Mammalia, Testudines, Sauria).’
- ‘The first formal use of the word Testudines as a taxon name can be found in Batsch.’
- ‘All turtles are placed within the order Testudines.’
Modern Latin (plural), based on Latin testa shell.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.