Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a people of southeastern India.
- ‘For Telugus world over, Ugadi has a special significance, as it heralds the onset of a new year, the beginning of new hopes and aspirations.’
- ‘If the Kannadigas, Tamils and Telugus are the mainstay of the City, the Malayalis are not far behind.’
- ‘The way the Tamils celebrate their New Year (the year is called Shubhanu) is not very different from how the Kannadigas and Telugus did it last week.’
- ‘His wife, Tanya, an airhostess with the Indian Airlines, is a Telugu.’
- ‘Apart from those in the country, Telugus in the US, the UK, and Canada, too, can relish the Vissa contest as the channel's beaming will be available there in next three months.’
2The Dravidian language of the Telugu, spoken mainly in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
- ‘A versatile linguist, he has acted in every major regional language including Gujarati, Hindi, Marathi and Telegu.’
- ‘The film is originally in Mandarin but has been dubbed in Hindi and Telugu for its India release.’
- ‘As many as 150 students have started to read, write and speak in Telugu.’
- ‘The Research Centre will soon come out with similar Internet search engines for Hindi, Malayalam, Telugu and Kannada languages, he said.’
- ‘The thriller is also slated for release in at least two other languages - Tamil and Telugu.’
Relating to the Telugu or their language.
- ‘Eating is my passion and I am used to the best of Malayali, Telugu and North Indian food.’
- ‘Because, rarely would one have the pleasant opportunity of having two lovely actresses from Telugu film world knocking their doors and wanting to spend some time with their families.’
- ‘An official Website will also be launched containing about 2,000 pages with information ranging from the history of the language to Telugu software.’
- ‘Most Hindus in Malaysia speak Tamil, even if they are Gujarati or Telegu.’
- ‘These books will be available in English and the publishers have plans of bringing these comics in Bengali, Hindi, Malayalam, Punjabi, Tamil and Telugu languages too.’
From the name in Telugu, teluṅgu.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.