One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A Mexican-American inhabitant of southern Texas.as modifier ‘the Tejano upper classes’
- ‘By 1950, the MBCT had grown and matured due to excellent leadership and its provision of vital ministries for Mexicans and Tejanos in Texas.’
- ‘Ironically, though, he would eventually be forced to settle in Mexico as a refugee, a consequence of the 1846 exodus of Tejanos from Texas, and a concomitant influx to the area of new Anglo immigrants.’
- ‘But the forgotten heroes are the Tejanos, Mexicans who had lived in Texas for many generations and fought beside Bowie, Crockett and the others against the Mexican army.’
- ‘One hundred eighty-nine American newcomers, Tejus Anglo settlers, and Tejanos made a stand in the fort.’
- ‘By the 1950s, however, service organizations faced new challenges from increasing numbers of Mexican immigrants, Texas Mexicans, or Tejanos, and a new group, Puerto Ricans.’
- 1.1 A style of folk or popular music originating among the Tejanos, with elements from Mexican-Spanish vocal traditions and Czech and German dance tunes and rhythms, traditionally played by small groups featuring accordion and guitar.
- ‘But our emphasis is not really on the snake show, as much as it is on the country-and-western and Tejano entertainment.’
- ‘To speculate briefly on this exclusion, to ask why polka hasn't gained alongside Tejano increased attention with the hip, upscale consumers of world music is to revisit the relation between race and ethnicity in American life.’
- ‘At this year's Latin Grammys, three of the five albums nominated for Tejano music - a blend of Mexican polka and American pop - were released by Freddie.’
- ‘His works depict memories of childhood family and friends in a wide variety of activities from dancing to Tejano music to making tamales.’
- ‘The singer and musician was the first interpreter of rural popular Tejano and border music to acquire star status through her many recordings.’
American Spanish, alteration of Texano ‘Texan’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.