Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Chinese philosophy based on the writings of Lao-tzu (fl. 6th century BC), advocating humility and religious piety.
- ‘Zen is a synthesis of Indian Buddhism and Chinese Taoism.’
- ‘He was an ordained Episcopal priest who wrote a great deal about Taoism (and Eastern philosophy in general).’
- ‘The revival of Confucius mirrors the return of other traditional belief systems and religions such as Taoism and Buddhism.’
- ‘The Taoism that most people would be familiar with would centre on a text known as The Book of the Way and its Power or some form of that.’
- ‘Later I read about other religions and found that Taoism most closely reflected my own beliefs, but I wasn't drawn to it.’
- ‘Confucianism blamed Taoist philosophy of escapism, while Taoism responded by deeming Confucianism as escapist from one's true nature.’
- ‘Buddhism coexisted with archaic Hinduism in India and Sri Lanka, Taoism and Confucianism in China, the Bon religion in Tibet, and Shinto in Japan.’
- ‘The roots of Japanese mythology are in the Shinto religion, in Taoism and in Zen Buddhism alike.’
- ‘The guqin music was also influenced by Chinese philosophies including Confucianism and Taoism.’
- ‘Confucianism, Taoism, and shamanism have also influenced Japanese religion.’
- ‘The Vietnamese people adhere to a syncretic religious tradition that is a mixture of Mahayana Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism.’
- ‘The Chinese philosophy of Taoism looked inward, seeking harmony with nature.’
- ‘In the Mahayana school, Buddhism incorporated Chinese Taoism and eventually evolved into Ch'an, or better yet known as Zen in Japan.’
- ‘In terms of the philosophy of Taoism, those who seek to enslave others in such a manner have most definitely departed from the ‘way’.’
- ‘Chinese Indonesians brought Buddhism to Indonesia, along with Taoism and Confucianism.’
- ‘Most Chinese residents practice Chinese folk religion which is an amalgam of Taoism, Buddhism, and ancestor worship.’
- ‘In the spiritual traditions of China, Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism, practices and disciplines for refinement of the spirit are common.’
- ‘As I came from a Yang Ban family, I had an interest in Taoism, Chundoism and Christianity.’
- ‘Historically, Buddhism reached different regions at different times, and its evolution has been eclectic, often mingling with Taoism and Confucianism.’
- ‘The goal of Taoism is to live in harmony with nature by learning to balance the complementary forces of Yin and Yang which are believed to pervade the universe.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.