One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The field of study that deals with the Jewish law.
- ‘This scholarly method is distinct from the traditional method of study called Talmud Torah, which is performed in fulfillment of a religious commandment and assumes a certain level of belief and personal attachment to the Jewish religion.’
- ‘The curriculum is designed with the understanding that the role of Talmud Torah and Shalhevet is to act as a supplement to a Jewish home and synagogue life.’
- ‘The intra-traditional mode of study, ‘Talmud Torah,’ is contrasted with the extra-traditional mode, ‘Jewish Studies.’’
- ‘However it is accomplished, the evaluation process will help you grow as a teacher, will make participants feel valued, and will improve the quality and depth of the group's Talmud Torah.’
- ‘The literature of the Reform Movement understands Talmud Torah, Torah study, to be a mitzvah, a commandment.’
- 1.1 A communal school where children are instructed in Judaism.
- ‘The Talmud Torahs, being the largest schools, were used as a nucleus.’
- ‘In 1917, the six individual Talmud Torah schools merged as the United Talmud Torahs of Montreal.’
- ‘Following World War II, supplementary Jewish education passed entirely into the hands of the synagogues, except for the small Orthodox element affiliated with the Associated Talmud Torahs.’
- ‘Today I support day schools to achieve the same levels as were achieved in the Talmud Torahs.’
- ‘Local references in Jewish newspapers over the years to Talmud Torahs were of similar meaning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.