One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The Aran Tam perfectly combines style and practicality and is totally unique as each hat is hand knit or crocheted.’
- ‘She took a dark tweed coat with matching muff and tam from the wardrobe.’
- ‘He came with accomplices who wore gold tams and black capes; some carried handguns.’
- ‘There were plush fleece coats, including one in soda-pop grape, and cute leather tams crudely stitched with black yarn.’
- ‘The tam fits all as the size is very easy to adjust.’
- ‘It takes some acting craft for him to pull off the feat of wearing the outlandish sweater vests, demented tams, garish checks and plaids without ever seeming as if he were wearing a costume.’
- ‘That robe was her full Ph.D. academic regalia, with three velvet blue stripes on each arm; a satin bi-colored cowl and a soft velvet tam (with the tassel angled sassily - she thought).’
- ‘He reached up and adjusted his plaid tam, which offset perfectly his red scarf and silk shirt.’
- ‘On her head she sported a tam a few shades lighter than the skirt.’
- ‘Work a vintage fedora, tam or veiled hat into your wardrobe for a bit of uptown chic.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation.
Television audience measurement.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.