1The highest judicial court in a country or state.
- ‘The supreme court and lower courts comprise the judicial branch.’
- ‘That's being argued right now in the supreme court of justice, by the way.’
- ‘As long as it stood, it was the supreme court and legislative body in all matters of Torah law.’
- ‘After all, constitutions and supreme courts are state constitutions and courts, and whatever limitations to government action they might contain is determined by agents of the very same institution.’
- ‘In addition, the Supreme Court economizes on its time by giving little weight to decisions by the federal courts of appeals and the state supreme courts.’
- ‘In Alabama, a chief justice of the state supreme court was forced to remove a giant monument of the 10 Commandments from his courthouse.’
- ‘The highest judicial body is the supreme court.’
- ‘District courts hear civil and criminal cases, high courts hear appeals, and the supreme court reviews judgments by lower courts.’
- ‘The judicial branch includes a supreme court with justices appointed by the president.’
- ‘The judicial branch consists of the supreme court and several layers of lower courts.’
- ‘Each republic had an independent judiciary with a supreme court, lower courts, and a constitutional court.’
- ‘Conflicts over the legality of such ordinances sometimes reached various state supreme courts.’
- ‘The formal system is organized under an independent judiciary headed by a supreme court.’
- ‘The chief justice of the supreme court has stepped into the presidency, as stipulated in the constitution.’
- ‘The rule of law must be respected and honored - especially by the chief justice of a state supreme court.’
- ‘The high court, a court of appeals, and a supreme court constitute the core of the justice system.’
- ‘William Rehnquist, chief justice of the US supreme court, is 80 years old and has been diagnosed with a serious form of thyroid cancer.’
- ‘Another test will be the imminent retirement of the chief justice of the supreme court, William Rehnquist, who has thyroid cancer.’
- ‘Lawyers for the prisoners have been tied up ever since in a series of appeals and counter appeals to different levels of court to get the hearings the supreme court promised.’
- ‘As in the United States, the judicial branch is comprised of a supreme court and lower, local courts.’
- 1.1 The highest federal court in the US, consisting of nine justices and taking judicial precedence over all other courts in the nation.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.