One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A county in eastern England, on the coast of East Anglia; county town, Ipswich.
2A commercial and agricultural city in southern Virginia, in the Hampton Roads area; population 82,302 (est. 2008).
A sheep of a large black-faced breed with a short fleece.
- ‘The Hattens have a weanling to beef enterprise and also keep some pedigree Suffolks.’
- ‘Helen - who boasts a flock of 10 Blue Faced Leicesters and 30 Suffolk sheep on her farm near Welshpool - cautiously admitted: ‘I don't know whether they fall in love.’’
- ‘Amongst the tups it was Simon Hunter with a Charolais that topped the day at 380 guineas, followed by a Texel from Colin Milburn at 345 guineas, and a Suffolk from Mark Bulmer at 290 guineas.’
- ‘He had bred cross-bred sheep for several years but it was Lorna who persuaded him that the family's success in sheep lay in Suffolks.’
- ‘He uses a Texel ram on the Suffolk ewes and a Suffolk ram on the Texel ewes.’
- ‘He aims for the French trade with his lambs which are from Cheviot x Blackface Ewes mated to a Suffolk / Texel Ram and Blackface ewes mated to a Cheviot or Blackface ram.’
- ‘All his farms were within a few miles of each other, and yet he was known all over Yorkshire; indeed his reputation as a Suffolk sheep breeder was world-wide.’
- ‘Recently the neighbour's flock of Suffolk sheep moved onto the grass at Lowland Farm, completing the rural picture.’
- ‘Richard is holding on to some land on which to keep a flock of Suffolk sheep, but is also now working for local a plant hire company.’
- ‘A flock of 200 ewes, half of which are Suffolks and the rest Mules, are run with either a Texel or a Suffolk tup to produce fat lambs.’
- ‘Recently five lambs were born to a Suffolk ewe owned by Michael Tiffin, Gortnaboul, Kilgarvan.’
- ‘It involved a nervous system disease called scrapie that had befallen a flock of about 36 Suffolk sheep in downtown Tucson.’
- ‘Entries have been particularly strong in the Limousin and Holstein cattle breeds and in the Texel and Suffolk sheep categories.’
- ‘It was Doug Jewitt with a Texel shearling who topped the day at 310 guineas closely followed by a Suffolk from the Bulmer flock at 300 guineas.’
- ‘Annie Johnson and her Suffolk sheep took four first prizes.’
- ‘We have been breeding Suffolks and mainly sell to commercial lamb producers, who return to us on a regular basis.’
- ‘Cotswold flockmaster Chris Holmes is celebrating a double hat-trick of successes this year with sheep from his Rookery Flock of Suffolks - three flock competition wins and three successive championships at Moreton Show.’
- ‘There are dozens of sheep breeds in this country, and no one who has worked both will ever again mistake a Suffolk for a Scottish Blackface.’
- ‘In the sheep pens, 12-year-old Alistair Thompson, of Selside, followed in his father's farming footsteps as he scooped two first prizes in the Suffolk sheep class.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.