Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An eight-wheeled armored vehicle used by the Army with defense capabilities similar to those of a tank, but with greater mobility and fewer logistical requirements.
- ‘Grafenwöhr, near the border with Czechoslovakia, will be the home base for a Stryker brigade, according to Bell.’
- ‘In a separate incident, they took out a Stryker transport vehicle, but did not cause any casualties.’
- ‘Three Stryker crewmen were killed, back in December, when a Stryker rolled over when part of the dirt embankment underneath it collapsed.’
- ‘At least one soldier who served in both says, while the M113 might be better than a lightly armored Humvee, it still doesn't compare to a Stryker.’
- ‘Throughout the 2-year conversion to a Stryker Brigade, the toughest part of Transformation was fighting an inflexible bureaucratic system.’
- ‘Both would have a Stryker Mobile Gun System battalion that could air-land to provide additional firepower when needed.’
- ‘If you are assigned to a Stryker brigade combat team, advise your command and send us your recommendations.’
- ‘The Army plans to move 800 soldiers to the isles for a Stryker brigade, while millions of dollars in infrastructure upgrades are in the pipeline.’
- ‘Today, the toughest job in our Army is a Stryker rifle company commander.’
- ‘A non-commissioned officer from the Old Guard and a Stryker Brigade soldier won this year's NCO and Soldier of the Year competition.’
- ‘In November 2003, the Stryker entered operational service with the US Army when a Stryker brigade landed in Kuwait.’
- ‘Noteworthy was the lack of organic mobility and firepower of the airborne brigade, unlike a Stryker brigade equipped with the Mobile Gun System.’
- ‘Then, even further back, were another two hundred men, all battle-hardened, and each one looked almost as strong a Stryker.’
- ‘The first one happened about two hours earlier, and it came near a Stryker.’
- ‘The company-level mortar platoon cannot range to cover all three dispersed platoons in a Stryker company.’
Named for two different veterans of earlier wars who shared the surname Stryker.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.